Tuesday 18 September 2012

A Selfridges Adventure

I've just finished my work experience at Selfridges, London. I worked in the lingerie buying department for two weeks and absolutely loved it. I have a new found love for lingerie. 

It was quite a daunting experience at first; this was only my third ever visit to London - typical Northern girl - and this time I was going it alone. Once I figured out the buses and tubes, I felt completely at home and now I'm very excited about the prospects of living in London when I leave uni.




Whilst working at Selfridges I got a really great insight into the buying world. I'd never really considered buying as a career but it's a lot more exciting than I originally thought. I got to sit in on progress meeting and buying appointments to see how the company/client relationships started and developed. I also got involved in creating a Selfridges 'Online Guide to Lingerie' which was quite fun to design and create. Other tasks involved fulfilling orders and sorting out and sending samples back to clients.




The office was such a fab environment to work in and everyone I worked with was so much fun and really welcoming. I definitely want to go back if they'll have me and maybe even do some work in the PR and Marketing department.

Every lunch break I would wander round a different section of the store and look at all of the beautiful things, one lunch time I went to the Nails Inc Workshop for a manicure and polish which only took 15 minutes - only in London. 

In the second week, James came to stay and we went to the theatre to see 'One Man, Two Guvnors' which was incredibly hilarious and we also visited Westfields which was amazing. 



When I finished my work experience, the people I worked with gave me some Jonathan Aston & Happy Socks tights, a pair of black and purple Kinky Knickers by Mary Portas & a sorbet pink Hanky Panky thong. The tights include a leopard print pair, a black pair with union jack printed horses on them and a pair which are black and white with a sort of tie dye effect but not, if that makes any sense at all...  but all the things I got are beautiful.



The whole adventure has got me excited about starting a career after university. I've loved every minute of working at Selfridges, exploring London and learning to find my way around on my own. For me it's a pretty huge step as I'm usually such a worrier. I definitely cannot wait for my next work placement, wherever it may be. 







No comments:

Post a Comment